Take a break from your regular Sunday roast and wow your guests with this hearty rib of beef instead. A meat lover’s dream, this tender, juicy cut is surrounded by sweet, roasted root vegetables tossed in lemon and poppy seeds.
- 2kg (4lb) rib of beef
- 2 tsp smoked sea salt
- 400g (13oz) charlotte potatoes, halved
- 3 echalion shallots, halved
- 250g (8oz) chantenay carrots
- 300g (10oz) baby turnips, quartered
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 tbsp chipotle chilli paste with smoked paprika
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tsp English mustard powder
- 2 tsp poppy seeds
- ½ lemon, zested
- wilted greens, to serve (optional)
- Preheat the oven to gas 7, 220°C, fan 200°C. Put the beef in a large roasting tin and rub with the salt and freshly ground black pepper.
- Add the potatoes, shallots, carrots and turnips to the tin, arranging them around the beef. Drizzle the veg with the olive oil, add the rosemary, then roast for 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, mix together the chipotle paste, maple syrup and mustard powder. Set aside, until needed.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven and reduce the temperature to gas 4, 180°C, fan 160°C. Spread the chipotle mixture all over the beef fat, then return the tin to the oven and continue cooking for 10 minutes per 450g (14 1/2oz) for rare meat or 12 minutes for medium-rare meat. Remove, loosely cover with foil and leave to rest for 10-15 minutes.
- When ready to serve, toss the veg with the poppy seeds and lemon zest. Slice the beef and serve with the veg and wilted greens, if you like.